The power of giving—your time, money and energy—is extraordinary. At the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, we rely on generous support from the community to increase awareness of Alzheimer’s disease and to help fulfill our promise of educating and supporting individuals and families living with Alzheimer’s disease and related illnesses. Community fundraisers are a fun and easy way to enlist family, friends, and the community to support our cause. From bake sales to dance-a-thons, birthdays and special occasions, fun runs or concerts, the goal is to have fun and raise money together for a cause that is close to your heart. Here’s how it works:
Pick a Fundraiser.
Do what you love! Think of an activity or event that you enjoy and determine what is required to turn it into a fundraiser.
Tell us about your plans.
We want to hear what you are doing and can help spread the word and provide educational materials and goodies to give your participants. Click here to register the event and create a fundraising page that you can share.
Goals are important!
Set a specific goal. Not sure where to start? If you are holding a “Laps for Alzheimer’s” fundraiser at your local pool, consider a goal of $5 for each lap you swim. Commit to a specific, minimum number of laps to set your goal. For example, if you plan to swim at least 200 laps during the event, set a goal of $1,000.
Make a plan.
Create a budget and be sure to consider any costs involved with the event before getting started. Next, recruit friends, coworkers, and family, secure a date, and find a venue (if needed). Cover all bases to make sure the event is a success.
Share the fundraiser and why you are hosting it on Facebook. Tweet it out so friends and family can make donations. Keep everyone informed of your progress and how they can help. Send weekly updates on your training or preparations.
Thank, thank, and thank again!
Be sure to thank the people who supported you, encouraged you, and inspired you to make a difference. Showering friends with thanks is a great way to make them feel good about their support and contribution.
Here are just a few examples of events inspired by imaginative donors like you:
- “Donate Your Change” Coin Cans: Sign up for our change can program. Place the can in your office or business and collect money for AFA.
- Dance Marathon or a Fun Run: Charge a registration fee and encourage participants to get sponsors.
- Sports Tournament: Form a team—dodgeball, kickball, softball, etc.—and recruit other teams to join. Charge a registration fee to enter the tournament and encourage participants to get sponsors.
- Hold a Street or Neighborhood Garage Sale: Rally the neighborhood to join you and make the garage sale THE place to go to get a great deal for a great cause!
- Celebrate with AFA: Celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, weddings or other special occasions with the AFA. In lieu of gifts, ask friends to make a donation to the AFA in honor of your special day.